From Canadian Pedorthic www.pedorthic.caA pedorthist is an individual who is trained in the assessment, design, manufacture, fit and modification of foot appliances and footwear for the purposes of alleviating painful or debilitating conditions and providing assistance for abnormalities or limited actions of the lower limb.
The pedorthist provides devices and footwear to assist in:
1. Accomodation of foot deformities;
2. Re-alignment of anatomical structures;
3. Redistribution of externam and internal forces;
4. Improvement fo balance;
5. Control of biomechanical function;
6. Accomodation of circulatory special requirements; and,
7. Enhancement of the action of limbs compromised as a result of accident, congential deformity, neuralcondition, or disease.